Central Park With Caribbean Travelers

Yesterday was my favorite day in New York so far. I don't think there was a single New Yorker who stayed in their house yesterday. Pale-skinned professionals and kids in trendy strollers buzzed around the balmy streets soaking in the 70 degree weather and the emerging beauties of spring.

We picked up food at the Whole Foods in the Time Warner building and joined all of our Grenada buddies for a picnic in Central Park. They're all a year ahead of us and are soon venturing off all over the country for their residencies. We're so proud of them and grateful for the way they supported us in Grenada and helped us get settled here in New York. I feel a bit of sting of sadness knowing that this is the end of our journeys together. When we head off to our residency in a year, we won't be following in their footsteps. I guess we have to grow up at some point. But I've loved creating friendships with these people and supporting each other through this crazy medical school journey.

Lauren is one of the best people I've ever known.  Last Fall I was having a hard day feeling overwhelmed by the adjustments to a new job, a new city, and a new way of life.  I wrote a vague status update on Facebook about the crummy day I was having.  The following day there Lauren was at my doorstep with a delicious meal in hand.  I could barely stop crying for long enough to tell her thank you.  She didn't call and ask how she could help - she just showed up to help.  I know it seems like a simple thing, but her service meant more than rice, chicken, veggies, and dessert.  It was a direct answer to my prayers.  Love you, Lauren. 

Lauren 2

Lauren Lauren 3

I didn't get to know Julie and CJ in Grenada as well as I would have liked.  But I feel like I know her from reading her blog on a regular basis.  She's a terrific writer and has such a hilarious and practical view on life.  I hope she doesn't stop writing, so I can keep in touch with her for many years to come! Aren't her little boys so adorable?!
Winklers

liam
Blair busted out the kite I got him for Easter and kept the kids entertained.
kites
Maria, Maria....I wish that both of us didn't have grown up jobs and could just explore the city together every day.  I love her adventurous spirit and how much she loves to travel and explore the city.  She's one of the most genuine people I've ever known.  You feel like you're the most important person in the world when she talks to you.  She asks questions and really listens and always leaves you better than she found you.  
Maria
The only picture I got of Brittany and Cody was as they were eating their lunch.  I thought they might kill me if I posted those snapshots.  We're so grateful for them for helping us get settled in NY.  They looked at apartments with us, gave us advise, and let us borrow their truck for hours as we zoomed around the city picking up our Craigslist finds.  They're such good, good southern people.  My Grenada experience wouldn't have been the same without Brittany and the friendship we created our first year there.  I miss those morning runs on the beach with her... 
grenadagirls

grenadagang

Comments

Love all of these pictures!!! Thank you Ashley!!!! It was seriously one of the best days ever! I was just so happy to hang out together!!!
Love you!!
xxx
Julie Winckler said…
Wow, Ashley! I just got so excited when I saw these pictures, they are awesome! Thank you for posting!

Popular Posts