Let The Sun Glow

I feel like I need to do a better job of documenting our last moments in Grenada. So forgive me if this mixed stew post leaves you questioning what's in the pot. I'm merely writing for posterity. You're welcome to stay for dinner.

It seems strange to blog about trivial things when the world is on fire. We've been sitting in front of our computers, glued to the events in the Middle East and Japan. I don't know what to say other than we pray for this sad and beautiful world every night. Today this breathtaking video gave me a sense of peace. I don't know what the writers of the song specifically intended. But it gave me the feeling that in a dreary wasteland of a world, the glowing sun still exists. It's just over the hill. (And p.s. the director said the last little boy flies. Not to worry)

And now on to relatively inconsequential things...

On Saturday we had our Seminary Super Saturday. For you non-Mormons out there, "seminary" as we call it is a youth educational program. Youth members and non-members come to a scripture study class every other morning before school. We study the scriptures, talk about how it relates to teenage life, and then we eat breakfast. It's a rockin time even though sometimes we're half asleep. Our "Super Saturday" is a fun activity that we do every couple of months. It's a way to just play games, have fun, eat food, and reflect on the things we've learned in seminary.

Here we all are!  Don't mind my disastrous humidity-terrorized hair and the bad picture quality.  

This is us playing the game "Spoons" with plastic forks. Go figure. Notice Michael, the boy on the right with the striped shirt. I thought it was hilarious that we caught him cheating on video. haha! When everyone frantically ran to the center to grab their fork, he slyly pulled his contraband utensil out of his pocket. It looks like all my hard work teaching them integrity is really paying off...





In case you forgot, never knew, or really don't care - it's my birthday month.  I told Blair what I wanted for my birthday month is to watch the sunset every night.  The inspiration for my birthday present came on Saturday evening.  Blair was studying and I decided to go out to the lighthouse and watch the sunset.  I purposely didn't bring my camera because I wanted to pay attention to what I was looking at instead of getting distracted by a lens.  As I watched the sunset I felt overwhelmed by the beauty of the world.  I felt peace that I haven't felt in a while.  And so I decided that I wanted to take the time to keep appreciating the glowing sun.  Instead of getting on our computers or diving back in to books and notes immediately after dinner, we're taking time to watch the sunset for thirty minutes.  It's the best birthday present I could ever dream of.
Birthday-Sunsets

Our sunset meals are gourmet specials.  I am an expert at tomato soup and burned grilled cheese.  Poor Blair...
Birthday-Sunsets-2

Birthday-Sunsets-3

Birthday-Sunsets-5
Other than cheating students and  fiery sunsets, we're just plugging along.  Every Tuesday we swim at my friend Blaire's house.  She lives here. 
Prickley-Bay-1
Don't you just want to kill her?  I mean seriously...
Prickley-Bay-2
We swim and play with my friend's little ones. This is Lyndzee and her adorable son, Jackson.
Prickley-Bay-3

I'm volunteering at Limes twice a week which is really fun.  Last week we were able to give the kids donated barbies and race cars.  They were absolutely ecstatic! I'm sure a lot of them have never received gifts like that.  It was sweet to see their reactions.  

I'm working on an oral history project with a few other S.O's for the U.S. Embassy.  We're working with the principals of two schools to train eight students on how to interview elderly people in the community.  After the interviews have taken place, I'll be in charge of helping to compile the interviews by subject matter, take photographs of the interviewees, and submit the information to be broadcast on radio and displayed in the National Museum.  This is the pilot program for the project, but I'm excited to be a part of it nonetheless.

Well, I think that's it for now.  Blair keeps plugging away at school.  He's doing wonderful and looking forward to our few weeks of rest after this semester and the USMLE exam are over.  We love you all!

Comments

I love reading your posts. I feel inspired to take more time for the daily wonders and blessings from heaven.
You two have done GREAT things with your time in Grenada! I'm always inspired!!
Can't wait to see you soon.
XOXO
noelle regina said…
i don't want you to leave Grenada ever. i've loved reading about your adventures.

glad to see you 2 are having fun.
xoxo
Maria said…
I love it when you post pictures and videos of Institute. I miss those kids so much. Please give them a hug for me and tell them I think of them often.
Happy B-day month!! Enjoy the those sunsets..there is nothing like them. I can't believe you are eating soup and grill cheese in hot weather!! You better make a post of your finished product with the project of the embassy. Love you!!
shelby said…
too hot of pan = burnt grilled cheese, trust me, i am a sunday afternoon grilled cheese expert.

Popular Posts