Tricky Lover Business

sun flair gone bad
{Is he seriously not the most handsome human ever? I married him because I want a baby boy that looks exactly like him. That sounds weird, doesn't it? Dang it.}

The annual day of lovers is tricky business around our house.  Twenty-seven years ago cupid poked a pointy-tipped arrow in Blair's fetal butt and sent him flying out into the world on Valentine's Day.  This is equal parts adorable and obnoxious.  It's endearing in the sense that Blair's birth date only lends credence to what a sweetheart of a man he is.  But the combination of birthday and valentine's celebrations always leaves me feeling that Blair has somehow been cheated.  While Blair should be pampered and spoiled rotten with gifts on his birthday, he's instead running around buying flowers and goodies for me.  Not that I'm complaining about his gifts, but I end up feeling like I've somehow stolen his birthday cupcakes and eaten them all myself.

So this year I tried to get the upper hand.

A week before the special day I decorated the house with homemade hearts with little messages to Blair.  Some of these may have been a little personal and I'll admit I was slightly embarrassed when the cleaning lady saw them. 

The Friday before Valentine's I made a reservation for a fancy French dinner at the Vastra Banken.  We had a four course meal on a beautiful boat docked at Le Phare Blue Marina.  It was delicious!  (And slightly over-priced I might add)  But I love nothing more than eating good food and talking with my husband.  Is that boring?  Is that something a 75-year-old woman would say? Dang it we're getting old!

Anyway...

Sunday night we had a surprise party for Blair at our friends' house.  I'm not sure if it was much of a surprise actually.  I think most of you know I'm horrible about keeping a happy secret.  I'm even worse at planning a surprise party.  I accidentally leave crumbs of clues all around me in the weeks leading up to my secret festivities and Blair usually figures out what kinds of shenanigans I'm up to well in advance. I need to work on that.

On Monday Blair surprised me with flowers while I was sitting in the middle of our S.O Board Meeting.  I made him a bag filled with all of his favorite goodies and a few things he'd been asking for.  He went to school, I edited photos, and that night we had a delicious candle-lit dinner at Stefani and Jerod's house. 
Overall, I'd say Valentine's Day this year was a success.  I love you, Blair!  Thank you for being born and thank you for sharing your beautiful life with little old me.

-ash

Comments

mccall said…
what a sweet post. i always think of you two on valentine's day {and every day in between}.

i love you both. so much!
Ashley said…
We love you too, Cally. I miss you all the time and can't wait til we live closer.
Willis Family said…
Happy Late Birthday Blair! We actually remembered it was your birthday but writing it on some post just doesn't seem the same. So I opted for nothing. Lame I know. We love you both
Marce said…
Cute cute cuteness.

I laughed thinking of Cupid aiming an arrow at Blair's fetal butt to get him down here. Silly Cupid.

You two are adorable. A movie should be made about you.
ash said…
just the other day, i told my little brother the story of us going to buy blair something for his valentines birthday (balloons, maybe?) our freshman year. the moral of the story was definitely to not speed as we drove past the stadium because we got pulled over, you got a ticket, and blair got nothing! and i thought... "poor blair!" sounds like you made up for it this year! ;)
Hale-O There said…
I think you went above and beyond expectations. That sounds like a superb week and super romantic. You get the wife award of the holiday. Hope you get that cute baby boy soon.

Popular Posts