Happy Birthday Grenada!

On February 7th we celebrated Grenada's 37th Independence Day.  The streets felt different on the days leading up to the celebration.  Everyone seemed to be buzzing around with a sense of excitement.  I went with some friends to the National Cricket Stadium to watch the dances, speeches, and parades.  It was stunning to see the visual proof of Grenada's collective spirit of patriotism.  The stadium was a sea of red, green, and gold; and although it rained for most of the event, people stayed to watch the celebration unfold.

I got to help make my first "oil down" on the 7th as well.  Oil down is Grenada's national dish.  Recipes vary here in the West Indies, but the one I made basically consisted of pork, coconut milk, bread fruit, bananas, yams, coconut, nutmeg, and onions.  I have to admit that I just helped cook it and didn't actually eat it.  I probably should have, but the combination of fruits, meats, and veggies didn't look all that appetizing :)

Cooking the Oil Down with some ladies from church
1

The Cricket Stadium
3

Performers at the celebration
9-web

Kids dancing in the celebration
4

I love this country... Participating in Grenada's Independence Day made me appreciate the patriotic spirit here in Grenada. It's such a good thing to be proud of one's country. It's good to come together and collectively celebrate our heritage, our accomplishments, and our vision for the future. It doesn't make us elevate ourselves above other nations, but causes us to feel a sense of gratitude for what we've been given. I'm proud to be a part of Grenada and I'm even more proud to be an American. I can't wait for the 4th of July!

10-web

Comments

Reece said…
Great pictures. We'll have to check out the stadium events next year! And I too am ready for 4th of July!!!

Popular Posts