Hold on fast

Anchor Me

Lately I feel like a barnacle infested boat hanging on by a few anchors. Today I want to thank a few of those anchors - the people that help me to laugh, to see life more clearly, and believe in myself. Today I feel grateful for a husband who makes me laugh.

Handsome Man
I felt a little dejected when I received an email stating that the company I interviewed with decided to promote someone internally rather than hire a new person for that position. To keep me grounded and laughing, Blair made me feel better by crafting hilarious email responses along the lines of:

"Dear __________,

Thank you for your generous offer and for you desire to hire me for the _______ position. I've decided that I just can't accept your offer though. I've decided to keep my current position as House Wife In Chief here in Grenada. No need to send exorbitant offers to sway my decision. My mind is made up.

Best Regards,

Ashley Willis

I'm grateful for my Lizard....I mean my sister, Lindsay. We call her Lizard.

Ash & Linz
(This picture is so old! I couldn't find another one)

I don't worry about her judging me or thinking I'm a total slob when she skypes me at noon and I'm still in my jammies. She makes me laugh every time we talk. Last night when we were getting off the phone we had a hilariously awkward dialogue. Me: "Ok. Talk to you later, Linz. I love you." Lindsay: "Ok. Have fun." We're not really reciprocating the same feelings here, are we? haha. I called her out on her lack of affection and we had a good laugh about it.

I'm grateful for friends. Especially this one. They're all lovely, but she's the one next to me in the green shirt.



Stefani is my source of sanity here in Grenada. She and Jerod live right above us and I for one couldn't be happier about our communal living here. We eat dinner together at least twice a week. We paint our toenails together and watch the Rachael Zoe Project while our husbands abandon us to their studies. Sometimes our closeness is a little too close when her pipes break and their toilet jewels leak down into my apartment. But other than that, she is one of the dearest friends I think I'll ever know. She's an incredible listener, a truly nonjudgmental friend, and so fun to be around. I don't know how I'd get by in Grenada without her.

And so lately I'm holding on fast, realizing that life and all its moments of trial will not last. Someday I'll miss this. At that day, I don't want to regret a single day. Hold on fast...it won't last.

Comments

mccall said…
I am so sorry you didn't get the position :( I have been thinking about you a lot lately. I am so glad you have such a great friend there in Grenada. You are so right.. one day you'll miss this. I love you, friend (even in Lindsay doesn't Haha)
Richards Fam said…
Ashley, my grenadian sista, I hope you know how much I love YOU back! Wish we could arrange a more permanent communal living situation. Next thing you know we'll be living beneath your apt in the states during clinicals, cleaning up your leaky toilet deposits!
Hale-O There said…
The Chief of the House sounds like a way better position. I'm with Blair on this one, it's their loss! I loved the line cutter post, it's really funny. It did make me squirm a bit thinking back on all the times I cut in line at Cherry Hill, my boy cousins even taught me the supposed art of cutting;) shame on me!
Alright, sista! Lack of affection...what!!?? Clearly you've forgotten our many nights of spooning....
My head was in a jumble after cleaning the endless amounts of "you know what" that day :-)!!
I felt like Brian Reagan's comedy..."take luck", i mean, "good luck or take care" ....what?....ahhhh!! So eloquent I know.

I LOVE YOU FOREVER AND EVER
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And, our mid day jammies talks!!! :-)
Job hunting is such a demoralizing thing to do! I'm sorry for your struggles. My husband has had the same problems with looking for a job in fact he told me the other day that he just feels stupid and that that's the reason no one will hire him for full time work. You can get through your trials and when you look back you'll smile because of the strength God blessed you with. You are such a talented amazing person and you touch the lives of all who you come in contact with! I love you and miss you and wish we could be closer (both in distance and in relationship). Hang in there Ashley!
Willis Family said…
Hi sis! Just wanted to tell you that I posted some pictures of Tyler playing football. He made two touchdowns this last game. Love you guys!
Maren said…
Oh, Ash! You always are so eloquent. I love reading your posts. They make me want to be motivated to change my frame of mind. I need a little more of you in me. This comment also goes with your goal post. You need to teach me 1- how to make friends 2- how to be motivated to work out 3- how to use my camera and 4- how to always look at things as positively as you do. You are such a great example to me of just a really good petson! I love you, Ash! I can't wait till you live closer!

Popular Posts