A New Lens

Sometimes I wake up and feel like I'm completely alone on a deserted landmass in the middle of the Caribbean. It seems like the "real" life is somewhere far away. My busy American psyche repels the laid-back life of the Caribbean and I start to feel a yearning for a Walmart, a traffic jam, a free re-fill, or challenging schedule. Maybe you feel this way about being at home with little ones or stuck at a job that you don't particularly enjoy. It's easy to gripe about where we'd like to be and where we aren't.

But then I realize that if I'm not careful with my wishing for my return to the busy life, I'll "pile up enough tomorrows, and find I've collected a lot of empty yesterdays.” I've known people that go from place to place, relationship to relationship and always seem to complain about what they're missing. I'm afraid that at the end of our lives, we might sit down and realize that we never grasped that capricious ghost of a dream we were chasing.

So this morning I took a deep breath, grabbed my lens and set out on my quest to make today meaningful and beautiful. I'm on a quest to get rid of my empty yesterdays....one shutter speed at a time.

I found halos in the sky.
Sky Halo

I found a bird posing for me in the distance.
On The Rocks Again

I found delightfully yellow and slime-covered rocks.
On The Rocks

A tree that is still holding on after many years of storms.
Tree 3

Another tree full of character and stories.
Tree 2

And a breath-taking view of this place I call home.
This Is Where We Live!

Wherever you are, put on a new lens and see the beauty around you. It's there...sometimes it just takes time to see it.

Comments

Jamie said…
Beautiful pictures Ashley! What kind of camera do you use? I am looking into getting one so I can take up photography. I have always wanted to do it and even started a class once. I figure now is a good time to keep me occupied and develop a new talent. :)
Ashley said…
Jamie - I have a Canon 7D and absolutely love it! You should take up photography. It's a wonderful hobby :)
Laurie said…
Beautiful! And yeah, would you get a real life already?? ;)
Maren said…
Ash! Thanks for this great post. I needed it. One, it's nice to know I'm not the only one that feels down some times. And two, nice to hear advice on getting out of your funk. Ryan is constantly telling me to do the exact thing you did. But I can never think of places to go take pictures.
Marce said…
Ash, you always speak right to my little hum-drum soul. thanks for this- i've been feeling pity-party-ish the last lil while (as obvious by my pile of poop post)...but i will emotionally poop no longer, and rather chin up and look at my life with new eyes. just saw a hummingbird out my window, actually...and snuggled with my lil monster in my big fluffy bed. life is good when you let it be.
hug to you in your far-away paradise-away-from-home.
mccall said…
thanks, ash. this post was beautiful - the words and the pictures.

it's hard to image you having to go on a "quest to make today meaningful and beautiful" when you're living the Caribbean for crying out loud! but... even in the most beautiful places, we can still feel lonely and lose purpose. we have to make an effort to provide meaning in our lives.

i just love you, my dear.
Casey said…
Amen. Love the pictures!

Popular Posts