Smell Ya Later

Mother hen called today and told me to stop being such a lazy mazy at blog writing. She said she didn't give a peacock's tail feather about my latest photography ventures and that I better string together some coherent sentences or else... My mom is my unofficial blog editor you see. I guess it's just as well that the woman who birthed me should be editing my 26-year-old grammar. Luckily, she saves me from all sorts of writing embarrassments.

Embarrassments.

When I was a thirteen-year-old mutant I thought I had it all figured out. The key to preventing public humiliation was laying low, never admitting to anything, and avoiding the limelight as much as possible. When I clumsily tipped over in my seventh grade chair and fell like a frantic lizard on the crusty carpet, I quickly got up and pretended to be looking for something inside of my cave desk (my version of laying low). I tried to blend in with the crowd and not let anyone in on my quirks, mistakes, and smells.

But time is a wonderful mechanism for changing perspectives and making us a little less self conscious. While teaching a room full of teenage mutants the other day, a choking stench filled the room. It was the kind of fart smell that you find in your brother's room and the breed that's accompanied by coughing and gasping. Of course my students immediately scrunched their noses and started looking around the room for the stink bomb dropper. In a matter of seconds the identity of the culprit was obvious as one boy in particular sat with his head on his elbows, staring at his desk. The kids figured out who it was and started shouting, "It was Josh! It was Josh!" My heart started racing as I saw his poor embarrassed face turn from red to purple.

And suddenly I blurted "It was me, you guys." Silence vacuumed the air out of the room. "I have a little bit of a gas problem lately. Sorry about that. Whew! That was a stinky one!" The boys in the room smirked and looked at each other and said, "Oh my gosh! I can't believe Sister Willis just farted." And then we just moved on learning about the ten commandments or something...

Josh looked up at me and smiled and gave a sigh of relief.

And that's when I knew I was an old lady. An old lady that doesn't give a damn what a bunch of teenage boys think. An old lady that is learning to recognize when a young one's feelings are in danger and come to the rescue with nurturing life vests. Man I love these kids.

Comments

mccall said…
oh.my. you are so great to take the blame for that. hilarious post.
Reece said…
that is so sweet of you!, too funny!
Marce said…
you make use of the word "damn" better than any human i know :)
and you've got one of the biggest hearts of anyone i know too. i just love you.
p.s. come to the bay anytime. i'd love it.
Richards Fam said…
Ash, you never stop surprising me and that's what I love about being your friend. Great story, I can't stop laughing about it!
Maren said…
Ash... How rude to blame a little teenage boy on your stinky fart... Haha jk! You're too sweet.

So how about you decide to come home next week for Lucy's blessing and take some pics for me! Sound like a plan!?
-Kelsey Coghill said…
I never thought a story about farting could make me emotional.... haha. you're such a sweet old lady!!
In other farting news... today at Limes we were doing worksheets and 10 yr old Moesha said "Excuse me if I break wind" in an ultra proper voice... and I looked at her & she said "Maybe I'll just go outside..."
hahaha I almost lost it!
Andi Fitz said…
Alright, I have been reading your blog for awhile now because I think you are such a good writer and such a cute girl. Since we don't really know each other I wasn't planning on ever commenting and revealing my blog-stocking, but I couldn't help but comment on this post. It was hilarious, but so sweet at the same time. I'm so impressed that you did that for that boy. You got a little bit of embarrassment and a dang good story while saving him from some pure devastation. Awesome.

p.s. our husbands played soccer together at BYU for intramurals, and I went to Davis so I knew who you were from there but I was a wee little sophomore when you were a senior.
Willis Family said…
Love it Sis! Keep up the Good Work! :)
Ah...that made my day! So glad I get to claim you!!!
LOVE YOU!
Sarah Dhillon said…
Oh Ashley! Such a cute story and so sweet of you to take the blame ;) Thanks for sharing!! Love all the pics you've been taking lately by the way!

Popular Posts