Love Affair Number Four



Do you have a book that you read over and over again and never get sick of it? There are few books with which I have this lifelong love affair. One of them is C.S. Lewis' book "The Great Divorce". My fourth fling with Lewis' pages ended a few days ago and I can't seem to get it out of my mind. I love this story.

Lewis, a former atheist turned Christian, wrote this imaginative perspective of what may await us after this life. He did not intend on creating his own doctrine of the after-life. His purpose was to simply teach us about the infinite power of Christ and help his readers to see with colorful lenses, the silly and tantalizing chains that keep us from true happiness. If you're looking for a good book that may not be on Oprah's Book Club list, pick up this little treasure. I will refund your money if you're disappointed. And by the way, I don't get a kickback from the Clyve Staples Lewis foundation. Although I should...

In a world where the masses teach that there is no right and wrong, no moral compass, and certainly not one eternal road map for salvation, these words of reason bring comfort to my mind:

"You cannot take all luggage with you on all journeys. We are not living in a world where all roads are radii of a circle and where all, if followed long enough, will therefore draw gradually nearer and finally meet at the center. I do not think that all who choose wrong roads perish; but their rescue consists in being put back on the right road. A sum can be put right: but only by going back till you find the error and working it afresh from that point, never by simply going on."

"There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, in the end, "Thy will be done." All that are in hell choose it. Without that self-choice there could be no hell. No soul that seriously and constantly desires joy will ever miss it. Those who seek find. To those who knock it is opened."

Can't wait to meet you, C.S.

I hope we can do lunch in the after-life :)

Comments

Kalli said…
must add this

I love C.S.
mccall said…
please don't kill me for what i'm about to say:

i have never read any of CS Lewis. i know he's your fave. but i am intimidated by him, for some reason.

i want to read one, though. eventually. would this be your suggestion for a CS virgin?
Ashley said…
Dear CS Virgin,

I would start with Screwtape Letters or Mere Christianity. Our friendship hangs in the balance :)

Love,

Ashley
Hale-O There said…
oh I can't wait to read it, sounds like a treasure waiting to be opened! thanks for the recommendation- Rach

Popular Posts