Contraband Cookies & Other Thoughts On Fasting



We've had a good weekend here in G town. While Blair studied on Saturday afternoon, I went to the beach with Stefani and Kensi's families. In the evening we went to dinner at Victory Bar & Grill with the Richards and then met up for a mad game of Greed with Vanessa & Ryan. Although our game nights are alcohol-free, the six of us tend to lose all inhibitions. Suffice it to say I laughed harder last night than I've laughed in a long time. We had such a great time.

To finish off the weekend, we've had a wonderful Sunday. In our church we have something called Fast Sunday every first Sunday of the month. We go without food or water for 24 hours and give the money that we would have spent on food to needy people who live in this area. It's an opportunity to pray and seek spiritual guidance from God.

Now that I have the formal definition out of the way, I have to admit that fasting has never been my strong point. You see my family didn't grow up doing the 24 hour thing. We did the breakfast thing. We would skip breakfast on Sunday morning, go to church from 9am to 12, and then rush home, throw our little fists in the Ruffles potato chip bag, and gorge ourselves. We were way spiritual.

So you can imagine my horror when my companion on my mission informed me that fasting actually consisted of going without food for 24 hours!!!

"24 hours?!!!" I exclaimed. "You've gotta be kidding me!" I have to admit that I may have snagged a couple of swigs of water when my companion wasn't looking. And when we replay the videotape of my life, you may see me hiding in a bathroom stall inhaling a dozen chocolate cookies on fast Sunday. Like I said, very spiritual.

At any rate, here I am at the ripe old age of 25 and I'm finally giving this whole fasting gig another shot. It's a tough thing for me. I love food. I get ornery and emotional without food. But today I made it 20 hours and despite all of my preconceived worries, I didn't go into shock or cardiac arrest without my contraband cookies.

Today was actually a peaceful experience fasting. I really did feel closer to God and I'm grateful for the blessing that fasting is starting to become in my life.

Comments

Unknown said…
I could have written this. Except for the whole sneaking-cookies-on-the-mission thing. Today has been one of the best fasts of my life, though. Hope we can both keep it up.
Richards Fam said…
Ash, I too can't remember how long its been since I laughed that hard, which is why I love our game nights! On a more spiritual note, today was a great Sunday. Fasting is challenging for me as well but I enjoyed the peace it brought. Last but not least, thank you for your friendship. It means the world to me!

Popular Posts