Calorie Counters Don't Go This High

My sister once told me in casual conversation that one of the key indicators of a weight problem is that you always think about food. For example, you might snarf down half a can of Barbecue Pringles in 3 minutes on a Saturday afternoon just before writing a blog post. You might make your husband slam on the brakes the moment you spot a donut shop on the side of the road. Or in advanced stages of your problem, you may actually dream in the wee hours of the morning about the cereal you're going to have for breakfast.

The situation is thus.
My friend and I started waking up early every morning to go running on the beach. We run 4 miles every morning in the blistering heat. Here's a picture of where we run.

But the problem with this running gig is that it's turning me into a friggin garbage disposal. I eat and eat and the bottomless pit in my stomach never fills up. I'm always hungry! And as aforementioned, I'm always thinking about food. So I'm pretty much canceling out all benefits of physical activity by eating like a horse all day long. I don't know what the deal is. (And don't suggest that I might be pregnant. I don't want to pee on another stick and then be pissed off when only one magical line appears.) But any advice anyone may have about how to exercise and not quadruple my calorie intake would be great.

Happy eating.

Comments

Krista said…
First, I don't have any advice for you. I started training for the Wasatch Back Ragnar Relay, and I have the same problem. I run in the morning and then spend most of my day eating to attempt to fill my endless stomach. So all I can say is, keep running and more importantly keep eating. At least you can eat the extra donut and not feel so bad right. Just say, "Hey I ran today!"
Zane and Lexi said…
Ashley, do you even understand that your little body needs all that food or you couldn't make it down the beach and back! I'm way impressed with your running pursuit, way to go Brittany and Ashley! meanwhile, all the exercise I'm getting is chasing my almost 2 year old around the house/yard...
Blair said…
Eat more. That's my advice. Eat like your life depends on it.
I can't say that I have any advice myself seeing as I'm still in eat like your pregnant mode...which isn't helping me lose any baby weight at all. So all I can say is drink lots of water instead and that will fill up your stomach so you can't eat...
Willis Family said…
Forget the stick Sis. You'll know your pregnant when the pukes start, and they will. Your body needs the calories--I agree with Blair--EAT!!!
Mike and Kim said…
Well I have the exact same problem. What helps me is I make sure to eat lots of protein and fiber. That fills me up more with each meal. Also, eat snacks between meals and plan out your day of when you eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, and dinner. And, the key is don't buy junk food because if it's there then you eat it and then every once and awhile go out for ice cream :) But I'm not an expert, that is just what helps me. Good Luck!
I say eat all you want, as long as you get up the next day and run again :) hahah
no, but truly, drinking lots of water helps to fill you up, so it kinda satisfies the hunger feeling. Also you can have popsicles! That is a yummy snack that you can have loads of and it isn't that bad...as long as their not fugsicles :)
Ashley said…
Lauren - Is a Popsicle a Popsicle if it's not a fudgesicle? I must have chocolate ;)
Laurie said…
If you're hungry, your body obviously needs food, the key is eating the right foods...and that is the hard part.

As far as sticks and lines go, don't get caught up in all of that. I know it's hard not to, but that is just a frustrating way to look at it. Just enjoy your life while it still belongs to you.
Maren said…
My question is... why are you worried - don't you need to gain weight? I'd cut out the 4 mile runs and just down the food :)
Brett said…
I have a way of not quadrupling your caloric intake, rather quintupling it. Start swimming from your start arrow to the end point on the other side of the beach. :)
Ashley said…
Brett - I can't doggy paddle for that long. I like watching Michael Phelps but I can't swim like him.

Popular Posts