Painted Indian Giver

Definition: A North American expression used to describe a person who gives something and later wants it back, or something equivalent in return.

I don't want it back. I just want to use his gift before he does. Does that still make me an Indian Giver? Blair is working until 6:00 am and I just want two things to get me through the night - a chocolate shake from Arby's and a few hours of painting with Blair's unopened paint set that I got him for his birthday. I've been sitting here for a few minutes looking at the naked canvases and the unopened paints, convincing myself that since I don't technically want it back or necessarily want something equivalent in return I'm not really an Indian giver....right?

But what if you use something before you give it to someone? What kind of a giver is that? I think I'm guilty of that one too. I was in seventh grade and it was the night of my best friend McCall's birthday party. I bought a bottle of silvery lavender nail polish for McCall that I planned on giving to her at the party that night. It just so happened that the nail polish perfectly matched my new lavender plastic jacket (don't ask) that I was planning on wearing to the party. Right before I slipped on my white platform shoes and made sure there wasn't any gum chunks stuck in my braces, I quickly painted my toes with that new bottle of lavender beauty. McCall wouldn't notice. Nobody would notice...right? Wrong. Later that night at the party, right after McCall looked at my gift her eyes unfortunately went straight to the evidence under her gaze. She started laughing and said, "This nail polish is so cute! It looks so good on your toes." Luckily best friends can laugh about stuff like that.

So don't be offended if I use something before I give it to you. Consider it a compliment that I'm getting you something that I like so much. Indian Giver or not...still a Giver.

Time to paint.

Comments

mccall said…
I've never laughed so hard at a post! As soon as I started reading your first paragraph I was dying, remember the incident of the nail polish. That was classic. Only you, Ash. And I love you for it! P.S. The nail polish totally looked better on you :-)
Laurie said…
Ha Ha, that is great! I want to see what you end up painting on the blank canvas.
Kami Beck said…
love your stories, sis! XOXOX
Happy Birthday, Blair!!
Ali said…
you mean the plastic jacket that your ironed and melted later? so funny. i remember all this..

that little girl, i am assuming niece, making the fish face down a few posts is the cutest thing!!
Kerry said…
Did you end up using it before Blair got back?
I just read Ali's comment and can't stop laughing!!
I remember that purple plastic jacket...and the day it got ironed :-)!
Your stories are so fun!
Love ya!
Linz
Ashley said…
Kerry - yes. The painting...not so fabulous though. lol.
Paige said…
Pretty sure I remember that jacket (or maybe Lindsay had a matching one) but then I also remember an unfortunate incident involving and iron and fore-mentioned plastic jacket!
Maren said…
Ali beat me to my comment... I was going to make fun of you for melting that awesome plastic jacket!
Marce said…
i'm so glad to be back and blogging because of posts like this. you're the best.

and i'm totally an indian giver to.

Popular Posts